Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Men's Leather Work Gloves with Adjustable Wrist, Large (Wells Lamont

Men's Leather Work Gloves with Adjustable Wrist, Large (Wells Lamont 1132L)

Men's Leather Work Gloves with Adjustable Wrist, Large (Wells Lamont 1132L)

I've been on a mission to find a good solid pair of working gloves that'll last at least 2 months. I had high hopes for these but they let me down.
I had never used WL gloves before and bought them from reputation and good reviews. When they arrived, I thought I may have found what I was looking for. They looked great and felt even better. Not only that but I had changed back professions from construction to professional driver again so they wouldn't be tortured to death like the many brands of gloves before them. I only needed these for opening and closing trailer doors, securing cargo with load straps and loading and unloading metal containers. Despite getting filthy over the last month and a half, they did well and I liked the ball/strap on the wrist. Just last week though, they split at the end of one of the fingers. The same weakness of every other glove is in these too. The stitching. It's not bad enough to make them unusable and I'm not going to toss them yet but I really thought that with this lighter duty work, these gloves would last longer. Not so and I'm very disappointed.
So the search continues. I just can't believe I can't find a work glove that'll hold together. I've had them all so far. Leather, reinforced leather, pleather, cloth, reinforced cloth, cloth/leather hybrids, cloth dipped in rubber, name brand, generic, cheap, expensive, etc. Whether they look impressive or not, they all year in the stitching whether in the palm, side finger or finger tip. I'm open to suggestions (just not Firm Grip, I tried 3 different kinds of those and they all ripped in record time).

7/26/17 *Update* I decided to try one more pair of these since I found them for a good deal at my local store. I also hoped the last pair was just a fluke with the stitching coming undoneband I did like them a lot up till that point. We'll, these have lasted longer and no rips or tears yet. I use them 5 days a week on the job for many physical tasks and they're holding up just fine so I changed my rating from a 3 to a 5. We'll done. I'll buy them again if they hold up a little longer.

A review from a homeowners perspective, meaning that I am sure if you are a professional construction worker or something, you probably go thru a lot of gloves. A few years ago I undertook stripping the paint from my wooden house. Lots of power and hand tools to do that. I went thru a lot of gloves...basically they got holes in the fingers. .none of them were this brand, but the cost was comparable(they sound like Y-TOWN)...anyway I have some new projects, and I decided to try full leather, instead of the composite thing like before. I am glad I did. Not only are these the most comfortable gloves I have ever had(meaning they are soft) which allows you to grab things easily, I can tell they will protect my hands and they are well made. I especially like the drawstring that tightens them up around your wrist.

I was actually thinking about buying another pair just in case I misplace these. My favorite part is the SOFTNESS. They just feel like an old friend.

I am writing this review cause I saw somebody left a review that these were not well made. That bothered me and obviously it must be some competitor or something. That is just not true. These are great gloves at a good price.

Well, these certainly aren't as fancy or pretty as some of the Mechanix offerings, but they are comfortable and tough. I've been working on a limestone border/flowerbed project that goes around the entire perimeter of our house and in the span of a couple of weeks I chewed through a pair of Mechanix 5x (or whatever they are). Bought these and in the same amount of time they show zero sign of wear. Gloves are designed to be used and then thrown away when they are worn out, so don't buy any work glove thinking you're going to have them for life, but these are some of the toughest ones I've used, and I've use a lot. You won't get the dexterity of some of the lighter gloves but they offer more protection and a longer lifespan.

I expect these to last through at least 2 or 3 hours of hauling branches. I will be doing that in the coming week and will report back then concerning their durability.

As far as form is concerned I do like them and their Gunn cut. I put them on and they did fit like a glove. I am curious how much bigger the XL's are. These are just this side of fitting so if I do like them I will be trying one size bigger the next time 'round. I have slightly larger hands than average so it's not surprising and doesn't reflect on their sizing.
The gloves are double stitched around the base of the thumb and on the side from the top of the pinky down to the wrist but elsewhere only a single stitch. One business end of the glove is the palm to which they added a second layer of leather but only applied a single stitch. They can do better. The leather arrived nice and soft and through a little work ended up damp and they dried supple and pliable. Not bad.

Now they just have to last a day and they can earn or lose some stars.

And they did hold up to their first test. I forgot them on the second day and I sincerely regretted it.

Have you dealt with agave plants in Texas? They do love to have babies and spread and grow to epic proportions. I've trimmed them back before without gloves and I did not like it. These Agave Americana plants they have a row of thorns on either side-edge of the plant that are aka organic fish hooks but more dangerous in a chain gang. These gloves made a world of difference which allowed me to complete the task quicker and more safely. I can pull out plants up to about a foot in length without worrying too much about getting stabbed repeatedly and without mercy. They've not developed a hole with the abrasion test it withstood today so they've earned 4 stars but they can't overcome conservative stitching in favor of lowering cost.

After using these a dozen or so times they are still holding up.

Purchased these as gift at Christmas (almost a year ago now) and they are still going strong with repeated use. Tried them on myself when I got them and was happy with quality. No idea why I can't find this type of glove in stores and must purchase online. The leather quality is a soft and pliable and of a medium thickness. Not stiff when wearing and can flex hands easily. Due to reviews of this item (especially some reports of the gloves being flawed upon arrival) I inspected stitching inside and out and they appear to be quite sturdy. Have been used for yard work for almost a year and still in good shape. The wrist sinching feature is a must have for ease and degree of tightening. Keeps debris and dirt out. This was a major selling point (as most gloves don't offer this feature or use velcro). Also... There is a patch of leather along the palm for added traction when gripping...which is another added selling point. I ordered large... And although the large will suffice, the large does run on the small side. I'm not concerned because past reviewers said they stretch a bit...and they did stretch to fit comfortably by the user. Inside is not lined... But due to the flexibility of the glove it isn't an issue. There was no residue from inside of glove (like cheaper gloves have) . Quite pleased with the purchase as a gift... and will order more in the future since they stand up to the expected work load.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • 100% grain cowhide - high abrasion & Puncture resistance creates a durable work glove that lasts
  • Wear-resistant - reinforced leather palm patch increases overall wear, grip, and durability
  • Adjustable wrist - keeps gloves in place while also keeping out dirt and debris
  • Range of uses - high abrasion & Puncture resistance make these work gloves ideal for construction, demolition, farming, maintenance, ranching, and more!
  • Tried & true - top selling Wells Lamont work glove style, Built to last

Description

Keep your hands comfortable and protected while you're working on DIY Projects, in the Garden, Construction, Driving, or riding your Motorcycle. IDEAL FOR: All-Purpose, Power & Hand Tools, Equipment Operation, Construction, Landscaping, DIY Projects. The Ball and Tape style wrist closure allows you to adjust how tight the glove fits to your wrist. This helps hold gloves in place while also keeping out dirt and debris. Glove is made of high-quality genuine grain cowhide which offers superior abrasion and puncture resistance. Reinforced leather palm patch offers extra grip and durability. Gunn cut and Keystone thumb design provide comfort and flexibility. Wells Lamont - Stubborn About Quality Since 1907.



These are excellent gloves for working with brush, including thorny vines. Most of the time I can just grab the thorny vines without any trouble, unless I get one that has massive thorns or a thorn gets right in the perfect spot on a seam. They're breathable and I can work in the heat for a long time and never feel like my hands are too sweaty. Also it's kind of hard to find work gloves that come in small sizes; I guess they think no one with small baby hands ever has to do yard work? I bought these in size small and they fit perfectly.

Update: One fingertip finally split open about a year after I started using them. Considering how many hours I put into them, and the abuse they endured, I'd say they're worth it. I ordered another pair.

I think there are some knockoffs being sold based on some of the other reviews.
- Mine were exactly as pictured.
- I just used them for 2 days digging out drainage pipes (grabbing mud and stones, shoving my hand in muddy holes). I don't think there was any wear. My regular cheap no-name $4 work gloves (the suede palms, blue fabric with red stripes on backs and cuffs) would have melted in an hour. I used the suede ones bailing hay as a kid, and wish the farmer would have sprung for these.
- There a Wells stamp on the left glove. If you don't have it, maybe you have a knockoff.
- I have XL. Fit perfectly. My palm is 3 1/2" at my knuckles and my hand is 8" long from wrist to middle finger (3 1/2" long). Adam S in an answer said "I use gloves all the time so I just went with what I always wear. My had is 8 1/2" from the tip of my middle finger to the base of my hand at the wrist and 4 1/4" wide on the knuckle line. I wear large"
- The string and red ball is a simple thing, but I really like it.

These gloves fit very well. The wrist strap hold them to you hand. I have always tried to keep Well Lamont gloves in my truck for when I need them. The are very durable and have a great feel when working in them. No dead spots, you can feel what you doing so you don't hurt you hands. Over the years I have bought an average of three to four pair a year and I'm hard on them. My problem is that I don't really ware them out that often I loose them.

Bought these for doing yard work. Got tired of getting splinters in my hands from a dried out rake handle and tiny little thorns from some of the weeds. These gloves are much better than the old stretch-cloth garden gloves and the adjustable wrist strap makes sure they don't fall off easily. I did find that they run a bit on the small side so be aware that they will fit snug (which is OK by me).

Exactly as described. I've tried many other gloves, and these are far the best I love Even though they aren't the same as a few years ago, which disappoints me, but still OK. They used to be a bit darker, all gloves were exactly the same, thick leather, really nice. But now they vary in thickness from glove to glove, but like I say still better than others. I even paid more for ones MADE IN USA, which I believe we all should now, but they were terrible. Well Lamont are my brand, like Carhartt. And Hellman's mayonnaise, lol.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment