Saturday, October 26, 2019

ClosetMaid 1231 Adjustable 8-Tier Wall and Door Rack, 77-Inch Height X 12-Inch

ClosetMaid 1231 Adjustable 8-Tier Wall and Door Rack, 77-Inch Height X 12-Inch Wide

ClosetMaid 1231 Adjustable 8-Tier Wall and Door Rack, 77-Inch Height X 12-Inch Wide

We recently moved into our new house and didn't have a lot of space in the bathroom, so we originally had everything that is now on the door on the shelves in the bathroom closet, which left no room for our towels. We had them in the hall closet which wasn't working well so I went on the hunt for a solution. I found this and it seemed to be the best deal for the value. Our closet door is smaller so I measured first and this brand had the smaller one for our small door. I ordered and when I first went to install it seemed difficult but was very simple. I do have to say that you MUST either attach to the door with screws or COMMAND STRIP HOOKS, I went with the strip hooks because although I know this will most likely not ever be moved, I love the Command products and I hate putting holes into walls/doors etc. they were very easy to install put in place. I used two on each side (middle and bottom). I am very satisfied with my purchase, this saved us so much space! I'm still amazed and wish I would've thought to use these products years ago!

I find this unit to be very functional. My comments here are more aimed at helping people decide on their installation strategy. I have installed two of these units: one for my daughter and one for us. First of all you must secure the rails to the vertical surface. This unit is not designed to simply hange from the single set of overhead supports.

In the case of my daughter, I brought along a package of the recommended 3M Command Wire Hooks, but had intended to use Toggler bolts based on a recommendation that I saw is one of the reviews. Unfortunately the Toggler bolts that I am familiar with will not work with a door because the inside of a door is too narrow so I ended up using the 3M Command Wire Hooks. Everything worked out well, but I don't know how they will hold up given the amount of stress that they will be subjected to over time. Many of the people that commented in the reviews attached them to the vertical support rails. I decided that it would be better to secure the wire hooks to the bottom of a respective basket at the appropriate support location. This allows the support rails to be pulled down and flush with the surface of the door. The key here is that you need to decide where you want the baskets. Anyway, we will see how the 3M Hooks hold up over time.

For the second unit, I did a little more research about anchoring to a hollow door and found the following: "TOGGLER Toggle TA Hollow-Door Anchor with Screws, Polypropylene, Made in US, 1/8" to 1/4" Grip Range". This is probably the 'Toggler' product that the other reviewer was taking about. This anchor is the best that I could find for the purpose. Note that you need to get the one that is specified for the relatively thin grip range. The outer shell of a hollow door is not very thick. These worked great, but you you need to be certain about where you want the anchor before you mark and drill the 5/16" hole. The screw is small enough to provide for a small amount of side to side adjustment, but not much. The use of this product is definitely my recommended way to go. After tentatively laying out the shelves, I decided to locate a screw with flat washer in the bottom slot of each separate piece. The shelving is now extremely well anchored. I will probably make the upgrade to my daughter's unit.

Additional comment: One reviewer recommended driving a screw through the top hanger supports. I don't recommend this. The additional screws may interfere with the door closing, and may force the hanger support out at an odd angle. I tried this and decided that it was not necessary. Good Luck!

We are using two of the 12 inch ones on the side of our fridge by way of two very powerful magnets (see link below).

We screwed together a 2x2 and a 1x2 piece of wood (2x3 is what I'd recommend but we tried the 2x2 first and it wasn't quite enough) and then screwed the magnets to the wood, which we then set on top of the fridge at the very edge. The wood serves as a "door" for the rack to hang over. So far it's holding up nicely, two magnets hold 176 pounds. If all of our cans crash to the floor, we'll know it didn't work out. :-)

note of caution: if you slide the magnets, they will scratch the paint off of your refrigerator. If you do decide to try my idea, place the magnets carefully. They are very strong. We ended up with a tiny scrape but it's on top of the fridge and under the wood so we can't even see it anyway.

These are the magnets: https://www.amazon.com/Nexlevl-Extreme-Power-Neodymium-Magnets/dp/B01BN7QFX4/ref=cm_rdp_product

NOWHERE in the description does it state you have to drill holes through the door to mount it- but you do- unless you want it flopping around when you open the door. I figured since it was 'door mountable' that there was some way that would keep the system rigid and held tightly against the door- but no- you have to put screws or bolts INTO your door to secure it. Had I know this I would have looked for something else. Now, since I rent and cannot go drilling holes into doors, the entire system is flopping around whenever I open the door.

On the plus side, it doesn't fall apart with the flopping and works for holding a lot of stuff that I needed to find places for.

I bought this to replace a rack already installed on my very small pantry door and it was a a huge upgrade and quadrupled my usable space on the door. Installation is pretty straightforward. It would be helpful if they included a template just for ease when measuring the distance between the two brackets, but I just used the basket after installing the first bracket to get the correct distance. I did have to alter the length of the middle bracket due to the door knob and not wanting this rack off center. (I just couldn’t look at it everyday and have it off center by two inches!) I used my jigsaw to shorten them and then installed the third bracket independently. I did include pictures of the full door, the alteration and the depth using cans just for those that like a visual of my use and application. Very highly recommended and as a side note I am female and did the full installation myself as well as the alteration just for reference. You won’t regret this purchase if you are looking to increase your storage.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Store and organize items of various sizes; Easily reposition baskets to accommodate tall and short items
  • Close wire spacing on baskets keeps items from tilting; Multipurpose, adjustable storage solution is ideal for use in other areas of the home
  • Wall mount or over-the-door solution is perfect for kitchen and pantry organization; over-the-door solution also requires the use of screws provided
  • Measures approximately 77" H x 12" W x 5.2" D
  • All hardware for wall and door mounting included (1.5-inch door hook depth)

Description

ClosetMaid has a full line of accessories for both inside and outside the closet. These accessories create storage spaces for many places in your home. The Adjustable 8-tier storage rack is a lightweight ventilated wire rack that is great for the laundry room, hobby room and kid's room.



My spice cabinet was out of hand. Couldn’t get anything out without 5 other spices falling on me. No other organizer would work for my kitchen set up.... UNTIL NOW!! I have a butler pantry with a half door. The 12 inch rack fit perfect. Packaging was well organized and product was easy to assemble for this chick!!
I did add some extra 1.5” screws from my stock just to anchor this baby down to my liking. It comes with 4 screws for the door mount option, but I knew I would be maxing it out. Lol. If you add a basket onto each section you attach together once you hang top section over the door, lining it up is super easy. I am so excited about this organizer. The deep racks fit my big items from Sam’s Club and the door closed like a champ. See attached pics to help make a good decision for your needs!

I tried finding one of these racks for our pantry closet and all of them where the larger 17"+. I needed the smaller size for our door. It now houses all of our spices that used to reside above the stove but that cupboard had been replaced with an over the stove microwave. I did screw it directly to the door as it slapped around too much with the hangers. My door is a hollow core door so I used slightly oversize screws instead of anchors. If you do it this way you have to ensure not to over tighten them and strip out the thin holes. Also use a couple more than you think it needs to make sure it is secure. Another thing to note when installing it is not to put it too close to the edge where it would interfere with the door stop trim. Also make sure to make your measurements taking into account the door knob to ensure you will clear it.

I received this yesterday and have already installed it. I previously purchased the 18" one from Lowes, which would have JUST fit on my small pantry door, but the door knob was in the way. So, I took it back and ordered this size (my Lowes didn't carry it) from here. I had previously read reviews about it, so when I made my original purchase at Lowes, I also bought hollow door anchors bc my pantry door is hollow. I took this put of the box, laid out all of the pieces, and commenced trying to read the directions. They suck. However, if you have common sense, you can pretty much figure it out on your own. I attached the over the door hangers to the rods, attached the rods together and hung them on the door. Then I placed all of the baskets where I thought I would want them. I did that for 2 reasons--(1) I wanted to make sure I had the rods correctly spaced when I screwed them to the door and (2) I wanted to ensure I didn't put a screw anywhere I wanted a basket. I didn't originally plan to do it this way, but I think it ended up working out better. I did not use ANY of the hardware that was included. Not even the little metal pieces that hold the rods together. I started at the bottom and worked my way to the top. I stuck a pencil through the bottom hole on either side to mark where I would need an anchor. I drilled those holes, and then just stuck the screws through as a place holder. I went to the top of those 2 pieces of rod (there are 3 rods on each side) removed the little connectors that hold that rod to the rod above it, and stuck my pencil through to mark those holes. I installed those anchors and then put the screws in those r holes. I worked my way up the other rods using this same procedure. After I drilled the bottom holes on the top sets of rods, I removed the hangers from the top and used those holes for the top 2 anchors. When I finished the installation, I had used none of the hardware that came in the box, and I had installed 12 hollow door anchors purchased separately. Anchors were placed in the very top and very bottom corner of each of the 3 rods.

I am hoping this review will help some person out there who takes the pieces out of the box, looks at the assembly instructions on the back of the box and thinks "who can I get to assemble this for me." Since my assembler of choice wasn't available for 5 days, I decided to try it myself, was overwhelmed, put it aside. By the third day, third try, I wasn't going to give up. Looked at uTube for a video but could only find a photo of the instructions on the back of the box. My mistake was thinking this unit was going to be stable when assembled on the carpet. Wrong. After you attach the hooks for the door to hang it, do hang it on the door and proceed from there. Attach a shelf which will help stablize it. Follow the pictures on adding the rest of the parts. When finished add items to the baskets and then DO as another reviewer suggested and stablize with Command Hooks. This makes all the difference between a "will fall off the door any second" to a viable storage addition. Don't give up. Then cancel the assembly appointment. All kidding aside, there has got to be a better way or better design. I have no confidence the over the door hooks will not give way at some point because I couldn't tighten them all the way and in the future and I will find everything on the floor.

Our kitchen is woefully short of storage space for the cooking paraphernalia we've collected over the years as well as the food items overflowing our kitchen cabinets. To help solve this problem I've been looking for over-the-door shelving that would properly fit the narrow door to our small pantry.

The door is 84" high by 18" wide - tall and narrow, so finding a shelf unit with proper dimensions has been difficult. This ClosetMaid rack has the exact configuration I was looking for; it fits just right.

Three vertical rails make up each side of the rack, with slots all along the length which permit adjustable spacing of the eight baskets provided. To mount on a door, there are provided hangers that bolts onto the top sections - if you are going to mount the rack to a wall, these hangers are not used. To connect the three sections there are small hinges that insert into slots on the ends of the rail sections. The baskets insert into the slots of the rail, at whatever height you choose. The rails and baskets are sturdy steel with a quality white enamel finish; well designed and professionally constructed.

The hangers that go over the top of the door caused the door to stick when closed, so I had to cut grooves in the top of the door to allow the hangers to sit flush with the door. To prevent the rack from swinging away from the door when the door is opened/closed, I screwed each of the lower rails to the inside of the door using small wood screws and plastic anchors. Easily done, and remarkable secure when assembled.

Tip: When measuring your door before ordering the rack, be sure to account for the space taken up by the inside door handle; that will limit the width available for the rack.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment