Monday, December 2, 2019

DEWALT DCL040 20-Volt MAX LED

DEWALT DCL040 20-Volt MAX LED Flashlight

DEWALT DCL040 20-Volt MAX LED Flashlight

I've worked in many careers including as a home inspector before the great housing crash. I used maglite brand which have been the standard in flash lights for the past twenty five or so years. The flash lights worked fairly well but replacing four d-cell batteries Several times a week was expensive and wasteful. I switched to streamlite rechargeable flash lights which Were great quality but we're also very expensive. The light lasted about four hours before I would have to plug in and recharge it. I needed about 6 to 8 hours of flash light use per day and having to wait for my streamlite to recharge was a bit annoying. I wish I had this light then! What a difference it would have made in my day to day operations. I have found that the light does tend to tip over if stood on end and positioned on an 45 degree angle. To remedy this I switched to 20volt 6ah xr batteries which are heavier and have a larger base. They even last a lot longer (over 8 hours) than the smaller batteries. If you truly need a great spot light for work or home, this may be the last one you will ever have to buy.

But having it now it was worth the expense. This is one awesome spotlight. I have wanted this DCL043 spotlight for over a year now. I already have the smaller version which is kickass already but this spotlight is so bright it is almost too bright. 1000 lumens is great. Now what pushed me over the edge to purchase it you might ask? I discovered critters on my property that come out after dark, i have to avoid them but am trying to trap them too. I have found the red light (night vision) to be a major advantage, its very bright but not super bright like the regular lights are. Now this light is not really very affordable but if you have a need and can swing the expense than go for it, I recommend this light to everybody & if my new light somehow gets misplaced or damaged over the years I will replace it in a heartbeat. I love this thing...

This spotlight is really bright. I would say without any kind of lumen measurement it is very close to a car's high beam (1 of them, not both). Super handy as I often am in need of a flashlight when doing projects in the garage and this one is too big to get lost..... at least easily. 1 click on the trigger gets you 100% brightness and 1 more click to red LED only (for night projects maybe? or perhaps if there is too much glare from the regular white LED light). When I bought this I had just bought a few tools in the 20v Dewalt line and decided to go with the 20v/60v flexvolt batteries from Dewalt. I am very glad I did as they last forever in the 20v tools.

This device only has 2 light settings. The first is a VERY bright white cast. The second is a dim red cast. It would be nice if it had a second white light level that was not as bright. I purchased this product to use it in case of emergencies, like when power goes out, or finding the dog at night outside. A dimmer switch or lower light setting would permit you to keep the light on longer in the event of a power outage, so that you could have enough light to do things in your house at night.

The bright white setting is VERY bright. It easily throws light 150 feet into my backyard, and trees a football field away are well lit. Very happy with the brightness, but it should have a dimmer on the next model.

It seems well built, and has a similar casing to their other devices that use 20 volt. I bought this light because I have some of the 20v lineup. The tool is very light. I wouldn't doubt the battery weighs more than the device itself. The adjustable head tilts easily but stays well in place wherever you set it. Nice hook on the neck of it, for easy hanging.

Back when I was a teen, my parents proudly presented me when a Craftsman cordless drill and spotlight combo. The spotlight was a favorite of mine, but it ALWAYS blew out it's little bulb, just a slight jostle was all it took. After replacing the bulb four times, I got frustrated and left it in it's case.

Fast-forward a couple decades, my parents (yes, they spoil me!!) bought me a DeWalt cordless vacuum with two batteries for Christmas. I saw this on a slight sale after Christmas and decided to get it.

WOW. Don't stare at this thing when you turn it on. Seriously. You will injure your eyes. Even the lower-brightness red setting is more than sufficient to light up a room. While I know from study and experience that LED's are more robust than bulbs, I still wondered how durable this spotlight is....

Well, I had to help my dad replace a pump in the washing machine recently, and this spotlight was a clutch tool. It was left on for just over four hours, and barely used any of my 3 aH battery's capacity. Also, it was kicked, knocked over, and accidentally bashed around inside the washing machine repeatedly in those four hours. Nothing burned out!

So as you've likely gathered, I am stoked to have a portable spotlight back in my tool arsenal, and more stoked that I know it won't burn out if I so much as gently bump it.

Given the price of DeWalt's batteries, this may or may not be a worthwhile purchase for you if you need to buy a battery for this. BUT, if you have one of these 20v MAX batteries, I'd strongly suggest looking into this spotlight.


Get it Now

Feature Product

  • Bright LED output - 110 Lumens
  • Integral hook for hands-free use in multiple placements
  • Head rotates 120 degrees
  • Low heat output compared to Xenon lights
  • Efficient LED bulb improves run-time
  • 11 - 25 hours of run-time depending on battery amp hour
  • *Maximum initial battery voltage (measured without a workload) is 20 volts. Nominal voltage is 18

Description

Visual LED bar graph indicates the presence of voltage. The higher the voltage sensed, or the closer to the voltage source, the more LEDs light up. Bright flashlight illuminates work area and may be used independent of voltage detection function.



I love my Dewalt LED Spotlight! It is so BRIGHT it will blow you away! I use it all the time. In small rooms I just aim it at the ceiling and the reflected light is enough to light up the whole room, evenly. Recently, (you're gonna laugh!) I bungee corded this light to my bikes handlebars and used it as a bike light for a night ride!! It lit the (pitch black) sidewalks up like daylight! I had an existing bike light, but I did this because it was SO much brighter and I because I wanted to make sure I could see and be seen! My Dewalt was brighter than most cars headlights and I had to make sure I kept it angled downward enough so I didn't blind drivers! I brought a spare battery, but made the 4-hour ride without having to use it, the run time on this light is awesome! In today's age of dropping quality/rising prices, I feel that this light is a stand out and I frequently pat myself on the back for such a good purchase!

Purchased the larger spot (1000lum) which is humongous and requires larger cell for high output. Also the model with 3 leds 250/500 lums, also to large for using on small projects and no spot beam. To bright for up close applications. Needed a spot that would run a few hours on small 2AH cells, has adequate brightness and compact. The flashlight model is perfect for intended use inside home, in attic or checking out our smaller backyard at night. The 100 Lumen has nice white beam (no yellow) and perfect size outer beam. Keep it near door to back yard in case of need. Smaller size is perfect with the 2AH battery. Only negative is that the Dewalt cell does not fit tight, has movement to it. I think that a small amount of clear tape will take up that slack, no biggie. Well balanced with small pack, shorter and perfect for setting on table or under sink. No wobble in the clickable rotating head, works perfect. Nice for around the house. I have a flashlight and had to work on bath toilet. Needed light in tank but both hands to change part. Had to try and hold typical flashlight with my teeth to get light on the subject. If I had this Dewalt flashlight, could have placed on counter next to toilet and rotated head towards tank. Will be very usefull and I like that it will accept belt clip for when I am climbing ladder into attic. Great price and product except loose battery.

I've got less than one full charge of battery time on it so far. This thing is bright. I usually set it back three or four feet from the problem at hand. It puts enough light out that reflections and scattering wipe out most shadows. Great for plumbing and electrical work. The only nits are that you need to put a carabiner or something similar on the loop to hook it to a pipe. And yes the battery pack is a little bit loose. Not enough that it seems to make any difference. And it would be handy if you could step down to two or one LED instead of all three. Presumably the battery life would double or triple, and even one LED would be enough for many jobs. If you already have one or two 20V battery packs it makes the cost a lot more bearable

I originally only purchased this because it was on sale for around $20 and I have quite a few 20V batteries already in my collection. I didn't realize how useful this light can actually be! First of all, it provides plenty of light for working in small dark areas. It is also small enough and adjustable enough to fit in tight spaces and provide adequate light to help you get your job done. And if you have other DeWalt 20V batteries already, it seems more practical than carrying around another corded light or a light that uses disposable batteries. I highly recommend it!

My son and wife own a sailboat and plan to take off for a year or so to sail the East Coast and Caribbean. They have other Dewalt tools and batteries. Got his for them, they really like it. LED lights are very bright and directional for seeing channel markers and working on boat. The RED light was a surprise, for checking sail at night without loosing night vision. With other Dewalt batteries you can be sure it will work when you need it.
.

Get it Now

0 comments:

Post a Comment